Lemon Millet Pie has been a breakfast treat (sometimes a staple) in our home for years. Both the crust and the filling are naturally sweetened with fruit.Whenever I share this with neighbors or friends they always want the recipe so I thought I would save myself a lot of writing and post it here.
For those of you who haven`t heard of millet before, believe me I was there, but after discovering it`s thickening abilities, it has made it`s way into many recipes over the years and I don`t know where I would be without it. Millet is one of three alkalizing grains, is easy to digest, full of good stuff, and the best part is I can make this for my gluten intolerant friends, as well. For more info on the health benefits of millet click here. Pineapple is also alkalizing and the bromelain not only aids in digestion, but also seems to help with pain and inflammation. With lemon, almonds and dates also being alkalizing as well, you can see why this Lemon Millet Pie can be eaten for breakfast to the delight of your family and guest alike.
- Pie Crust
- 1 c. almonds
- 1 c. dates
- 1 (1.36 L) can pineapple juice
- 1 c. millet
- 4-6 Tbsp. lemon juice (depending how tangy you like it)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- For the "Nutty No Bake Graham Crust`
- place almonds and dates in a food processor and process until it is a fine crumb and stands up the walls of the food processor.
- Press into a pie shell, and it's ready to fill. That's it! Great as a quick solution for those no bake pie recipes.
- For the Filling
- In a medium saucepan combine the pineapple juice and millet. Bring to a boil then simmer on low for 30 minutes - 1 hour, watch carefully that it doesn't burn when it starts to thicken up. Alternatively you can cook it in the oven at 350 F for 45 minutes.
- Place the cooked millet in the blender with the lemon juice and vanilla (optional).
- Blend until silky smooth, then pour into the "Nutty No Bake Graham Crust``, and refrigerate several hours.
- The combination of the sweet crust and the tangy lemon filling is delightful. This is so healthy we eat it for breakfast, try it you'll love it